Saturday, September 5, 2009

Home Is Where The Heart Is

You say it is not your fault. You tried to sit with me. You tried to be in my space. You smiled and you asked how I’ve been. You even tried to talk with the kids. Hell, I was really impressed. It just isn’t right, the way things are, and I don’t know how to mend it. The only thing that is true is how you try to give us what we need whenever I demand it. The only thing I have left is the love I freely give to you despite it all.

Children are not given; they are gifts. They did not ask to be born. They count on us for love and support. That is what parents are for. If I made the mistake to give too much, it was to balance that you gave too little. Money is something you work hard for, and you supply us with enough to live. Love is something you should give more, and that is something that you can’t seem to know how to give. Our children are mine from the beginning to the end because you decided it should be that way.

Mates are more than just someone to sleep with. It is more than just providing care and cleanliness. A relationship requires more than reporting and cooking. A woman needs to know she is loved for whom she is, not for what she is giving.

I blame myself for having given, even when I knew I wouldn’t get it back. I blame myself for providing all of the love and attention to our children, because I knew you didn’t know where to begin. You made the effort to establish this home to show that you have a family, and to pretend you had a part in it. If we were burdens to you and you needed your space, you shouldn’t have gotten involved to begin with.

You are to blame for knowing all this and more, because I have stated it year after year. It is too bad you believe we will always be here, because I know you will end up alone. You are alone and you always will be, despite you saying differently.

Of course, it you will blame everyone for their faults, because you provided the home. But a home is more than just a man who lives with a mother and kids - a home is for all to feel loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment